In this series of lessons, I will be showing you how to make a watercolour painting from a bighorn sheep reference. In this session we will be using a very small brush to add more details in the fur and horns.
- Watercolour paper
- Several small – medium soft brushes
- Watercolour paints (anything you have to hand)
- Water pot
- Paper towel or rag
Reference Image: https://unsplash.com/photos/6Uh-fJizwlw
- You will only need a very small brush for this stage.
- You can use the same colour mixtures that you used for the previous passes.
- Feel free to play around with colour accents though (dashes of more saturated or greater colours).
- Look for details like the finer ridging in the horns or the fur.
- Pay particular attention to what’s happening at the shadow edge as this is where more texture is apparent.
- I also recommend that you try to maintain a reasonable amount of white paper to maintain a sense of luminosity in the picture.